Falafel is sold on streets all over the middle east, and in restaurants worldwide. McDonald’s Egypt even sells a McFalafel sandwich.
- Calories: 572kcal
- Carbohydrates: 71g
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 24g
- 3 cups (500 grams) soaked chickpeas
- 1/2 medium red onion, peeled and cut in quarters
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 small hot chile pepper, sliced I used a Serrano
- a large handful of parsley, tender stems are ok, this will be about a packed cup.
- a large handful of cilantro, tender stems are ok. This will be about a packed cup.
- the zest of 1 lemon
- Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp all purpose flour, or chickpea flour
- vegetable oil for frying
- The day before you start making the falafel, place the dried chickpeas in a large bowl. Fill it with plenty of water (the chickpeas should be covered by at least 3 inches/7 cm but add more water if needed) and soak for 18-24 hours. Drain the chickpeas completely and use a paper towel to lightly pat dry them (if they are too wet).
- Transfer the chickpeas along with all other ingredients to a large food processor. If you have a small food processor, you will need to work in batches. Process everything for about 20 seconds, then scrape down the sides of the food processor and blend again. Do this a few times until the mixture is well combined, but not mushy.
- Refrigerate the falafel mixture (in the food processor bowl) for about 45-60 minutes (or longer).
- Use an ice cream scooper to scoop the falafel mixture and shape it with your hands to form a ball (or make a patty/disk if you wish). Do this with the remaining falafel mixture.
- Use the cooking spray to lightly spray the falafel balls. Also, spray the basket of your air fryer to avoid sticking. Heat the air fryer to 375ºF (190ºC) and set the timer to 15 minutes. Cook the falafel balls in the air fryer, flip them after 10 minutes. They should be crispy and slightly brown on the outside. You might need to fry them in batches if necessary.
- Serve hot on its own or assemble the falafels in pita bread with tahini, lettuce, tomato, and cucumbers.
If you would like to know more about falafel.
Ruddy shows the restaurant options around you, based on your calorie choice our app.
Follow us to stay updated!